First Timer

Posting to a blog for the first time - hmm. I am joining the masses.

Today is my first day back at work from a skiing vacation in New Mexico. The vacation was wonderful. The mountains always remind me of the glory of God's creation. Each day is unpredicatable in the weather and elements that one will encounter. The creatures come out on their schedules regardless of what people want. We wait hoping to see, but nature evades our plans. The bobcat couple that ran across the backyard hunting in tandem was an awesome experience for the kids.

My mom had the question - if they caught something while you were watching, would you keep looking? My answer was an immediate and emphatic - NO! My husband said 'maybe'. My mother surprisingly said she would watch - it would be part of nature. I told her not to let the kids see.

I would want to protect my children from seeing such carnage, yet should I? This is part of life, and humans are animals too. God knows back in the office, I see the parallels to the wildness of the mountain creatures. The beauty is here too, but it must be looked for more diligently. The hunt is easier to see~ with survival of the fittest being the rule unfortunately.

I still think seeing the blood and gore unnecessary to young kids' understandings. As a mom, I will shield them from the world releasing bits and pieces slowly to create independence. I know that I a bit strict and restrictive, but I think that society today has too many open outlets for overwhelming our little ones well beyond a bloody hunt. I'll keep working for that balance in their lives and mine - when to protect and when to open ourselves up. In many ways blogging is opening myself up~ be gentle wild ones!

Comments

Ron said…
I like to think I'm not *too* wild. :-)

Good to see you here. I get to be the first comment writer!

To answer your question, Yes, I'd look. I probably wouldn't stay for the whole show though. Like many things that happen behind closed doors and in nature, I know it happens, but I don't necessarily want to watch it.

With kids the age of yours, I don't think I'd want them to see it all either. However... You want your kids to say "I learned that at home from my parents" but if you spoonfeed them too slowly, you'll hear "I already know all about that - I learned it from my friends on the playground" instead. And it happens a lot sooner than we'd like.

Popular posts from this blog

AI and God

Unexpected Places

The Blessed Invisibles