Finding Grace Virtual Style

John 6:35-40 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; 38 for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.”

Matthew 26: 26 While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”
30 When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
31 Then Jesus said to them, “You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written,
‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
32 But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.” 33 Peter said to him, “Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.” 34 Jesus said to him, “Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.” 35 Peter said to him, “Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And so said all the disciples.


In this time of anxiety and high stress over the unknown, I find centering prayer particularly helpful. Place your feet flat on the ground. Place your hands in your lap, maybe palm up or in a position comfortable to you. Close your eyes and relax, feel the release through each part of your body as you let out the anxiety. Open space for prayer and connection with God. Focus on the Word in these moments we have together. Take a deep breath in and slowly release. Let us pray. God, we call on you. May we feel your presence. Hold us and open us to be renewed as we praise you. Refresh our hearts and weary spirits as we turn toward you and hear what you have to say to us this day. Amen.

What is this, God? I am supposed to be looking at a sanctuary full of people celebrating our church’s 40th. Yes, God, I know that we, the people, are the church not the building. So, we are still being church together no matter how we join to praise you. But this wasn’t the party I had planned! I feel much like the little boy in Fort Worth this week whose birthday party was delayed. And yet, his mom reached out to the neighborhood to make signs and hold balloons for her son each in front of their own home as he drove around the neighborhood in a parade of one to see all their displays and well wishes as he drove by the houses. My friend’s son even climbed a tree to stay a safe distance and sing happy birthday to his friend. The mom’s neighbors came out in numbers beyond her expectations and she had to circle back weaving to see all the well wishers. Seeing the smile on her son’s face, she knew it was going to be okay. And it will be, maybe not the okay we had planned or envisioned, but our God is with us.

The scripture this morning tells of the last supper, from which we get the instructions for communion together. Jesus knew he was to be betrayed, yet he still sat at table with the disciples. He still gave thanks, and broke bread, sat with them shared a meal with them knowing what was to come. Peter insists that he will not betray Jesus and all the other disciples chime in – surely not us.

Jesus knew that they didn’t understand, couldn’t grasp what was to come even though he had told them. He knew their weaknesses and fear would overcome them. It is because of these weaknesses that Jesus came and continues to come to us. God knows us in all our imperfection and loves us still. When we plan, plan and plan to ‘save’ the day instead of being still. When we sink beneath the waves like Peter because we are afraid. God is with us. In these dark days when we can’t see God, yes even now – God is with us.

Even afraid, even in sin, even with our foibles and mistakes, God meets us again and again desiring to be in relationship, a communion or koinonia in Greek. That beautiful Greek word koinonia holds so much more depth of meaning than a simple relationship. This is the relationship our God wants – one that holds all together, ties us one to another sharing communion with us. A God who feeds 5000 with a few fish, a God who transcends time and space joining us across the ages feasting with all the saints who have come before and with those around the world, feeding and renewing us at His table isn’t bound by a table, our God is not bound by a building. This God gives us his very body as the Bread of Life – a life Jesus gladly shares with us. The Holy Spirit is with each of us in all and through all as we distance ourselves physically.

Thursday, there was a giant rainbow in the sky over the church and in our neighborhood. It brought joy to so many. This is after all the sign of God’s love after the world was flooded. It brought a sense of peace, a respite in the literal thunder storms as well as in the storm of our current reality.

I was bummed because I missed it, but I sat in my backyard and felt calmness and peace at the beauty of spring starting to come to life around me. In one of my online groups, I found a project by a Massachusetts man suggesting we share rainbows. In this time when our children and even we are not able to gather with one another, he suggested drawing a rainbow and putting the picture in the front window of your house to share God’s hope with all who walk by.

How do we share God’s love when we can’t gather around the table, how do we celebrate a birthday when we have to delay the party? God’s grace is seen in the hope of a rainbow. Pastor Cara and I are declaring it a virtual birthday party for Grace Presbyterian Church’s 40th year of worshipping, loving and serving together. The theme of the party is the rainbow. Those of you who are artistically inclined, put a rainbow in your window to give hope to the world in a time of fear. How does a virtual party work? Share images to our church Facebook page of your favorite church-appropriate birthday celebration. Don’t have Facebook, email your picture to me at laura@gracepc.org

We are the body of Christ in this place – our birthdays and celebrations individually when pulled together celebrate the gift of life and bring glory to God. Let us celebrate together this way until we can gather again to do so in person. Know of someone for whom this is too much of a stretch right now, call them, send them a note.

We have gathered as Grace Presbyterian Church together for 40 years tomorrow. Our challenge now is to gather more creatively using all the tools at our disposal to leave no one out. Fear not for God is with us. For every way you can’t gather today, replace it with a gesture of outreach online, with a mailed or electronic card, pickup food to go to support a local restaurant, pick up the phone for a call, login for social media contact or make donation to online to us or your favorite charity that is helping those most needy in this crisis as food pantries run dry. Need help? Sign up online on the church website or contact a pastor – deacons and pastors are here for YOU. 

As we move through these changing times, be easy on yourselves, be easy on others. God is with you as you are and where you are.

It is human to cry for help and ask why, be gentle with yourselves. Lord I believe, help my unbelief. I know you tell me to fear not, yet I am afraid. Oh God reminds us that you are here with us. Keep the rainbow of hope near to our hearts when we feel overwhelmed, surround us with your love. Share that love, God’s promise, our hope is based on nothing less. Put a rainbow in your car and or home window. Extend God’s love and hope to your neighbors today. Share the promise of Grace through the hope of the rainbow. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Places

Repent Ye!

First Timer