Run the Race

I feel like I’m running a race. This is a different race because the course is unknown. When will I encounter the next uphill battle or a surprised blessing of downhill stretch. There are parts of this race where I feel very lonely. As a runner, this is to be avoided at least for me. Much of my motivation comes from partners alongside me, coaches building me up and a bit of competition to push me further.

In this unknown course, it is frustrating not knowing if I am doing a short or long distance. I am pretty sure that I have blown past the 5K comfort level into the 10K I was growing into and pushing at a half marathon. I tremble at the thought of an Ultra that goes on more than I can imagine in distance.  How do we plan to run the race at a pace that works for us individually?

I normally run with folks who can go much further and faster, but there are people who are simply not accustomed to any type of run at all. AS a society, our preparation level for pandemic is equally all over the map.

For me, I need reminders of sustenance. Sustenance of feeding my body with the right foods and sleep – yes throw in some handwashing because it is the thing to do these days. Sustenance of distraction. Distract yourself from the news that seems grim with a hobby or chore. Alternate between them so that you intersperse fun and joy with necessities. Drop a note or card to a friend, share a picture, have a Netflix party or Zoom with a book group.

Sustenance of rest. If you can, take a nap. Pet you cat or dog. Look at the glory of creation around you. Smell the flowers. Simply pause to listen. Step outside and gaze at the stars tonight.

Sustenance of a spiritual nature to replenish my depleted stores, do something just for me with a candle, prayer, some music or today writing. What sustains you spiritually, experiment in these times when we may need to make time. Sustenance for my flocks.

My flocks may be more obvious as a pastor because I have a defined congregation, but maybe not because my family, friends, peers or even the stranger who runs past me owning the small business or out of work are a flock that need us now too. I have to set myself a list – reach out to someone I am responsible for (for me church?), someone in family and someone needing touch in community, a friend I have not heard from in a while, and lastly a closer friend so I can receive and give the sustenance closing the loop of flock care.

Calling my exercise a run is often generous. I do a run or jog walk if I want to go any distance. This means I must be easy on myself. As we run this race, watch our paces. Don’t beat yourself up if you need a break or can’t seem to keep up. Save up for some needed sprints but be ready to settle back and catch your breath. We are in this weird, unwieldy race together.


Hebrews 12:1-2
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 
2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.


And, I can’t help but hum this tune as I write. Sing or hum with me:

Guide My Feet – Glory to God Hymn 741
"1 Guide my feet while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
guide my feet while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
guide my feet while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)
2 Hold my hand while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
hold my hand while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
hold my hand while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)

3 Stand by me while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
stand by me while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
stand by me while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)
4 I'm your child while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
I'm your child while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
I'm your child while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)

5 Search my heart while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
search my heart while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
search my heart while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)
6 Guide my feet while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
guide my feet while I run this race; (yes, my Lord!)
guide my feet while I run this race,
for I don't want to run this race in vain! (race in vain!)"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Places

Repent Ye!

First Timer